Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Japanese Toy Shop Videos pt 1

During my last trip/toy excursion to Japan, in October, 2011, I filmed a number of the toy shops and stores that I went into. For the most part I used my Veho Muvi mini spy camera, a pretty neat little piece of equipment. I just snapped it onto the left hand arm strap off my backpack and hit record. No one knew any better.

A big shout out must go to the guys at Super 7 and their essential book 'Tokyo Underground (1 and 2)'...pretty much a must if you intend to find any of the more hard to find toy shops scattered around Tokyo.

Here are the first two videos, from Third Uncle/Characters in Koiwa and Toys Golden Age, in Akihabara.

I'll be adding more in the coming days and weeks. You can always check my YouTube channel (Kamenliter) for updates.

As the Super 7 book says, the prices at Third Uncle were pretty crazy, but to their defense, the toys they had were in great shape, in nice boxes..but still, many high prices. Since it was one of the last stops, money was dwindling, and the exorbitant prices didn't help matters, but I finally decided on a nice Kamen Rider Stronger Popy vinyl (w/ removable helmet) and a smaller Popy Red Baron vinyl. Even just those two items set me back 30,000 yen. That transaction is documented on the video.

I didn't record my purchases at Toys Golden Age, but for the record, I picked up a cool Henshin Cyborg style purple horned cyclops figure...don't know who he is, but it was only 2100 yen for the figure and costume.

All the photos below, btw,  are from Third Uncle/Characters.











No comments: